After our recent recipe for mango lassi , here is an other well-known northern Indian beverage called Jal-jeera, or jaljira. It is a popular drink to cool you down in summer (so maybe you wont be drinking it this week if you’re in the UK).
Jal-jeera powder generally consists of cumin, black pepper, mint, rock salt and some fruit powder. You can also find recipes with chili or hot pepper powder. In Hindi Jal means “water” and Jeera means “cumin”.
As well as giving your taste buds a hefty kick, the drink is also reported to be good for your digestion thanks to the cumin and rock salt.
- 5 cups of chilled water
- 2 tbsp of ground cumin seeds
- 1 cup of ground coriander leaves
- 1tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of ground mint leaves
- A pinch of rock salt
- A pinch of sugar
- Dried mango powder (optional)
- Make a fine paste of mint leaves, coriander and cumin seeds
- Add the lemon juice and rock salt
- Pour in the water
- Add mango powder if you are using it
- Add a pinch of sugar – some people leave this out
- Mix well
- Add mint leaves and a slice of lemon to garnish
Make some at home this weekend and let us know how you get on.