As winter nears its end, we know you must be short of cooking ideas. We thought you might like to celebrate the arrival of Spring, on March 20th, by cooking something out of the ordinary. Achari Tikka is the perfect dish to treat your relatives to a delicious meal.
The Achari Tikka recipe is courtesy of the Brilliant Restaurantlocated in old Southall. The 250- seats restaurant specialises in North Indian Punjabi cuisine with a Kenyan slant. The Brilliant Restaurant has won The British Curry Award for ‘Best Indian Restaurant in London suburbs’ for 4 consecutive years and has also been awarded a special award from The Good Food Guide.
Today, Chef Jasvinderjit Singh shares one of the restaurant best recipes.
Achari Tikka (serves 4-5)
Archi Tikka is a Tandoori starter made using whole spices commonly used for pickle making. This is a Punjabi recipe of chicken pieces marinated in pickled spices and roasted in the oven. Although this is a dry dish without a sauce, the chicken pieces themselves can be added to a sauce if wanted. The main ingredient in the recipe is mustard oil which works well when infused with all the spices and the mixed with the curd.
- 700g boneless chicken (boneless thigh meat) cut into tikka pieces
- 115g yoghurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves (methi)
- 5 tablespoon vinegar
- 14 tablespoons mustard oil
- 25g ginger/garlic paste
- 2 fresh green chillies (pasted)
- 1 ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (Deghi Mirch brand)
- Salt to taste
- Put the mustard oil in a bowl, together with the dry spices (mustard seeds, onion seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds), mix thoroughly
- Put yoghurt into a separate mixing bowl and add the oil and dry spices mix to the yoghurt, mix thoroughly
- Add the dry fenugreek to the marinade, together with the turmeric, red chilli powder, vinegar salt and ginger and garlic paste and mix thoroughly
- Add the washed and drained boneless chicken pieces to the marinade and coat the chicken evenly with the mixture
- Leave to marinate, preferably overnight or for 30-40 minutes if wanting to use straight away, also pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Spread the chicken pieces evenly on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 20-25 minutes on gas mark 180°C until fully cooked
- Serve hot and enjoy